August 31, 2007

Granddad Helped me to Know Why I Teach.

There’s nothing new to report on Isaac.

I miss calling him every week and talking with him. He was able to make the biggest problem seem unimportant, and the most inconsequential items of ordinary daily living became magnificent when he examined them. For instance, in my last entry here, I made teaching sound burdensome when that is the farthest thing from the truth, and Granddad would have called me on it. I do love teaching, or I wouldn’t be doing it. I like working with my students – notice they are “my students” – because I take them, problems and all, and together we create a special place where we all work together to help one another learn. And, I learn from them. I know this sounds like Mr. Pollyanna, head in the clouds fairy science teacher. I suppose that the reality of teaching lies somewhere between today’s statement and that of August twenty-eighth. However, I wouldn’t want to be doing anything else, and Granddad is the reason I know that. He helped me to see that I will be spending at least 30 years as a gay male adult teaching children and or young adults (the second option is based on pursuing a masters and doctorate in science), and that is wonderful, because I like doing just that. So many people don’t like their work, and therefore suffer, and cause others to suffer. Sometimes I suffer from doing my work, but it is because I am a type A personality and perfectionist. However, I actually love the work. Granddad helped to give me that focus.

Please, be sitting by the water somewhere, Granddad, taking photographs, drawing, or reading. I love you and I miss you.


This drawing is one of Granddad's last. It was on his drafting table on the porch in North Palm Beach.

3 Comments:

Blogger Anji said...

The best part of teaching is the learning. I'm pleased that you enjoy it so much, I really miss my pupils.

Thank you for posting the drawing for us to see, I love the colours - I expect they are even better in real life!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Tay Hota said...

Why is drawing also posted on the page 'The Art of John Bittinger Klomp'???

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why? because the life of isaac stolzfuts was a work of fiction made up by john bittinger klomp...or who knows what his real name is and how many more of these blogs are just fictional characters....tim

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home