July 29, 2007

Of Course You Would do Careful Diplomatic Feelers Before Talking to Fidel Castro, Venezuela’s Hugo Chavez, or Iran’s Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Barack Obama’s comment in debate this past Monday evening that he would meet such leaders without precondition has sparked so much debate. Was it naive? Was it ill conceived? Was it simply framed so as to contrast with the current administration’s refusal to communicate? Was it intended to spark controversy? Will it hurt Obama? The answer to all these questions is “probably.” However, I personally like the fact that Obama is willing to take a stand in contrast to the other Democratic candidates. Hillary and most of the others seem to be answering questions with “diplomatease.” I’m tired of the status quo, and I have a hunch that, like me, many American’s are looking for new, and bold answers.

Dinner with Peter Friday Evening



He looked tired, and had little of substance to say. There were long, awkward silences, and I finally asked if he was dating anyone special, and he said, “No.”

“Playing the field, huh?”

“Yes,” he said.

Changing the subject, I asked if he had read any interesting books of late, and he said, “No.” The silence and monosyllabic answers were driving me mad, so I excused myself and pretended to putter around in the kitchen.

I prepared beans and rice, corn and apple salsa made from sweet Georgia corn sliced fresh off the cob, and jerk chicken. The menu was good and so was my cooking. However, my conversation was boring, and I don’t feel as though the evening was a success. Peter left before ten o’clock.

I’ve spent the weekend feeling depressed.



You can send E-mail comments to

ZacSfuts@Comcast.net

, or post them below.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so proud of you for doing what you did .... took lots of guts to do that ....i hope you are not still depressed ..... was worth the shot ..... i think you are a very lovely man ....

11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home