August 05, 2004

Spiritual Eroticism: Part II


The Democratic Convention, having the power of the moment, interrupted my musings. However, on July 24, 2004 I had started to write about sex and the spirit, a coupling of terms that most of us would not consider in the same breath/sentence, and perhaps most would think of as a dichotomy. I stated at the time that most of us whether heterosexual, lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgendered have a spiritual strand that runs through our sexuality. I also said that I thought those who lack this spiritual strand in their sexuality might not be quite human.

David*




Additionally, as part of these entries, I am including spiritual art that also happens to be erotic. My first example was Antonello da Messina’s Sebastian. Today I am looking at Michelangelo’s David. * There’s no denying the erotic power latent in the quiet strength of this beautifully sculpted hunk of stone (pun intended). It’s telling that Michelangelo chose a mature young man for his model rather than a boy of 12 or 13 years. It tells us that the Catholic Church didn’t understand homosexuality as a theme. It tells us that Michaelangelo was not interested sexually in boys. Instead he projects his erotic glance on this handsome young man, in whom he sees restrained strength and spiritual repose.


In my life, it was Peter who inspired me with erotic spirituality.

I often wrote erotic poetry in The Varnastrama Journals, especially in the 1950’s and 60’s, that demonstrated the spiritual component in my sexuality as it related to my relationship with Peter. Remember, Varnastrama is my alternate reality in which Peter and I are still lovers, as we were in this world before Peter died. For instance, the following is from Volume III, page 85.

...consumed by passion,
I said, “Oh God,”
“Here I am.” You said.
“Yes,” I said, Yes, you are.”
“I am here,” you said.
“Yes, he is too,” I said.
“Yes,” you said.


In Volume IV, The Varnastrama Journals I wrote the following.

Our bodies are altars on which we sacrifice our love.
The universe is contained in our embrace, and when
I run my hand down the back of your long, thick neck.
I am filled by the raging flood,
Finding an eternity of pleasure there,
For the angels are present when you and I make love.
They are astral voyeurs who delight in our touch.


* Michelangelo, Buonarroti, “David,” “http://gallery.euroweb.hu/index1.html,” Web Gallery of Art, “http://gallery.euroweb.hu/” (Thursday, August 5, 2004, 9:16 AM EDT)


E-mail me! My e-mail address is ZacSfuts@aol.com.

Visit my homepage
AOL Hometown

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home