September 17, 2006

Poodle Beach

Saturday, August 26, 2006
The boys – I shouldn’t call them that because they’re young men - got a parking pass for the weekend, so they could drive me close to the beach. I protested that the walk would do me good, but they wouldn’t have it, so I was chauffeured to the boardwalk. Poodle beach was named according to one storey after the glitzy 19 40’s and 50’s queens who took their poufed and dressed-in-Sunday-best poodles to the area located at the end of the Rehoboth Beach boardwalk. It was still quite a hike from the car to the boardwalk, and across the wide expanse of beach. Adam put our umbrella up in an area populated by young lesbian and gay families. It was wonderful to see two dads or two moms building sand castles with their young children, dipping toddlers in and out of the waves, and/or watching older children protectively from the shade of their umbrellas.

The end of the Rehoboth Beach Boardwalk. Poodle Beach is to the left.


When I was a young man, the only way a gay man could have a family was to marry a heterosexual woman. It worked for me, but I know that I gave dear Rebecca many difficult moments, and I guess that is putting it mildly. We did love one another, but I know that I wasn’t what Rebecca needed physically in a husband. And, I think I was unbelievably neurotic and tricky to live with. I’m sure that the tensions between us helped to make my Ruthie, Adam’s mother, such a complicated, high-maintenance personality.

Be that as it may, I found in Rehoboth Beach, “the nation’s summer capitol,” solid evidence of the families lesbian women and gay men are creating in the first decade of the Twenty-first century. Too bad our evangelical Christian brothers and sisters are unwilling to accept these beautiful young parents and their children - so much for “family values.”


You can send E-mail comments to
ZacSfuts@Comcast.net
, or post them below.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home