September 28, 2006

The Holiday Weekend



Sunday, September 3, 2006 started with a gray sky and rain! I got up late because Adam and Stephen had taken me out to a Philadelphia gay owned restaurant and bar the night before. The pianist played Broadway musical and other tunes and after dinner we ended up singing along until one in the morning – well, I mostly listened, but a group of about two dozen men sounded as good as a Broadway chorus to my alcohol laced brain.

Adam rushed me through a cup of coffee and cereal. I shaved and dressed in shirt, tie, and slacks that he provided. Amazingly they fit though a bit baggy in the shoulders and chest. We went to church at the Mickleton Friends Meeting House. The Quakers, at least in the Philadelphia area are a gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered (GLBT) friendly organization. Adam has not joined the Mickleton group, but he is looking for a GLBT friendly church to join, and this visit was part of that search. After the worship service, we returned to his apartment. Adam unlocked the door with a smug smile spreading slowly across his face.

“What?” I said.

“Nothing.” He said, as he opened the door to a living room full of family. Ruth and Samuel stood behind the couch. Samuel Jr. and Nichole were seated in front of them. The children, Amy and Terrance, now in their teens were sitting near Adam’s 42-inch plasma television. Stephen, my grandson-in-law (so to speak) by association with Adam was coming out of the kitchen with a tray of snacks. All of our family members who are close enough to drive to Woodbury were there. That meant Abraham and Joseph’s families were at their respective homes, but they called that afternoon. I must admit, a tear escaped and slowly found its way down my right cheek as everyone stood and greeted me all at once, a chorus of overlapping “Hi grandpa,” and “Hi Dad,” followed by hugs and kisses all around.

We talked non-stop all afternoon, catching up on each other’s accomplishments and the important recent events of our lives. The sound of laughter echoed the feelings of communion and love that filled Adam’s apartment with joy. Even Ruth seemed to be enjoying herself. Later, Adam and Stephen grilled chicken on the roofed balcony for a mid-afternoon dinner. Ruth had brought her famous Pennsylvania Dutch potato salad, loaded with almost as much egg, chopped onion and celery, as potato. Yum! Nichole had brought a big plastic bag of tri-bean salad, and a bowl of bowtie-and-seafood salad, as well as a three layer chocolate fudge cake. We all stuffed ourselves to bursting before our visitors forced themselves back into their cars and headed home.

Evidently Adam and Stephen had been working on the event since the beginning of August. I don’t know what they would have done had I refused to stay for the holiday – probably kidnapped me, tied me up and thrown me in the closet until the holiday. "I'm back in the closet again." No, NEVER!

What a wonderful dreary, and rainy day!


You can send E-mail comments to
ZacSfuts@Comcast.net
, or post them below.

2 Comments:

Blogger Anji said...

What a lovely suprise to read that post! I hope that means that Ruth is more accepting of the choices that you and Adam have made. That is great news!

12:33 PM  
Blogger Isaac said...

I don't know if Ruth will ever accept Adam's or my sexuality, though that is not a choice, but a given. I would like nothing better if she were able to accept my choices concerning South Florida, my Art, and philosophy, but I don't know if that is in the realm of possibility. As to Adam's career choice, I'm sure she approves of that. She will have to accept Stephen because I think he's a shoe in as Adam's partner.

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home