January 13, 2006

Spaceport to be built in New Mexico
Despite, or perhaps because of my last, cheerless and downright depressing two entries, “Robertson Says God Gave Sharon the Stroke,” and “Alito Senate Hearings…” I will move on to a more fascinating, and cheerful one, dear Journal.

The entrepreneur, Richard Branson has created the company, Virgin Galactic, and they have contracted with the state of New Mexico to build a spaceport in the Southern part of that state, near Truth or Consequences.

Virgin Galactic also revealed that up to 38,000 people from 126 countries have paid a deposit for a seat on one of its manned commercial flights, including a core group of 100 "founders" who have paid the initial $200,000 cost of a flight upfront. Virgin Galactic is planning to begin flights in late 2008 or early 2009.
*


I’m thinking of putting in a deposit myself, but by 2009 I will be 90 years old, and perhaps in no shape to take a flight into outer space. I’m sure I could manage it now. I’m in great shape for my age. I walk extremely fast, about one mile every day. I lift light weights and swim at the Lancaster Racquetball and Health Club. Perhaps I should make a reservation. If I did, I’m sure Ruth (my daughter) would be apoplectic.

Besides, my foil man looks as though he’s already to go on a space flight.

You can also visit the Virgin Galactic Website.

I'll have more about my visit to Miami in the next entry.


*Virgin Galactic to Offer Space Flights, Associated Press on "Spcace.com," http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/virgin_space_040927.html, viewed Friday, January 13, 2006, 9:18 AM.

*Virgin Galactic: The logical next step. Paul Rincon, BBC News Online science staff,
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/virgin_space_040927.html
Monday, Sept. 27 2004, viewed Friday, January 13, 2006, 9:21 AM EST.



Please E-mail me at
ZacSfuts@Comcast.net
with comments.
(Note the new address. I am no longer at AOL.)
. I have removed Comments because unscrupulous persons were using that part of the “blog” to advertise their products and services. If you have legitimate comments, I hope you will communicate these directly to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home