January 10, 2006

Alito Hearings in Senate Today
Here I sit in my hotel, watching the Senate hearings on Judge Samuel Alito. He’s smooth. He’s cool under pressure. I can’t help myself. I don’t like him. The following are excerpts quoted from an Associated Press article by Jesse J. Holland.


Answering his first series of questions Tuesday, President Bush's nominee said the Constitution protects the right to privacy and the court in general should follow its earlier decisions rather than be moved by public opinion in controversial issues such as abortion.

Senators who have met privately with Alito, 55, say he told them that his 1985 written comments maintaining there was no constitutional right to abortion were only part of a job application for the Reagan administration, which opposed abortion.

He wrote in a separate legal memo while at the Justice Department that the department should try to chip away at abortion rights rather than mount an all-out assault.


As I read I can’t help but think that his current statements avoid the actual issue. We do not need to discuss public opinion as the majority of Americans do support a woman’s right to choose. It is the vociferous minority of evangelicals who do not.

As I have also stated in the past. This issue is not black and white, and to reduce it to a dichotomous pair; abortion v. a woman’s right to choose does an injustice to having an actual conversation about the issues surrounding abortion. Unfortunately, the pressure is on, and Judge Alito will probably be voted into the Supreme Court where he will sit on the bench for the next thirty years, and whittle away at a woman’s right to choose.

You can go to the Senate Judiciary committee’s Website, and watch the hearings. Judge for yourself.

Holland, Jesse J., Alito Says He’d Keep an Open Mind, Comcast.news, http://www.comcast.net/news/index.jsp?cat=GENERAL&fn=/2006/01/10/300787.html, Associated Press, Tuesday, January 10, 2006. Viewed Tuesday, January 10, 2006, 10:36 AM EST.


Please E-mail me at
ZacSfuts@Comcast.net
with comments.
(Note the new address. I am no longer at AOL.)
. I have removed Comments because unscrupulous persons were using that part of the “blog” to advertise their products and services. If you have legitimate comments, I hope you will communicate these directly to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home