January 02, 2006

SICK!
I didn't get to go to Florida after-all!

Instead, my Christmas was a waste as I got a nasty flu-like cold, and spent the major portion of the past 9 days cooped up in my apartment and/or in bed. Ruth buzzed around like a mother hen, chicken soup and the works. Of course, no mother hen in her right mind would make chicken soup, so the metaphor is a bad one. Nevertheless, she was cluck- cluck-clucking around the apartment more often than I would have liked. She even took time off from the family dinner at Orchard Hill Farm on Christmas day to make a visit and try to cheer me up, a hopeless task when I don’t feel well.

*

“I’ll just leave this tray with your soup and medicine on the table next to your bed, Daddy.” (I’m always “Daddy” when I’m being patronized, or when Ruth wants something.)

“But I don’t like chicken-corn soup. Why couldn’t you just make regular chicken vegetable soup?

“Because we are Pennsylvania Dutch, and we make chicken corn soup, not chicken vegetable soup. Besides, you didn’t complain last month when I brought you that half gallon container full of the stuff.”

“I wasn’t sick then. Anyway, I pawned most of it off on Jim, Peter and Myrtle.” (I know, I know, I am a mean old bastard to Ruth sometimes.)

“Well, eat it, darn-it! It is good for what ails you, which is more orneriness than cold.”

She stomped out of the bedroom, and I heard my old Hoover vacuum cleaner grind into full rug-beating gear out in the living room. I did eat the soup, that is, all but the corn, which I separated and left behind at the bottom of the bowl.

Anyway, have a
Happy New Year 2006
, dear Journal!

*Borushek, Allen. Calorie King. http://www.calorieking.com/recipes/recipe.php?recipeID=571. Viewed Monday, January 2, 2006, 10:54 EDT.


Please E-mail me at
ZacSfuts@Comcast.net
with comments.
(Note the new address. I am no longer at AOL.)
. Note that I have removed "Comments," as unscrupulous persons were using that part of the “blog” to advertise their products and services. If you have legitimate comments, I hope you will communicate these directly to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home