April 05, 2006

I Bought a 2 Bedroom Condominium in South Florida!
Ruth is really upset. Our telephone conversation last night sounded something like…

“Daddy!”

“Yes, daughter.”

“Why did you buy it?”

“Because it’s warmer here than there.”

“But…”

“But me no buts.”

“It’s so expensive.”

“It’s my money. Why not spend it.”

“You’re not being financially responsible. You need enough money to earn interest in order to live.”

“I still do. I have my social security too. It’s just barely enough, but it will work, and I can’t take it with me when I go.”

“But, you’re twelve hundred miles from family and friends.”

“Ruth, family and friends can come visit me here. I’ll have an extra bedroom, and a hide-a-bed couch in the living room.”

“Daddy, it’s crazy. Spending all that money so you can live there in that heat and humidity with all those bugs.”

“So far the weather has been delightful, and I’ve not seen many bugs.”

“It’s Winter!”

“No, it’s Spring.”

“Damn, Daddy! Stop it.”

“What?”

“I could probably have you declared incompetent.”

“Not an easy thing to do.”

“What doctor wouldn’t say you were crazy at age 86 running off to Florida and buying a condominium.”

“That’s an ageist statement, and your doctor would be ageist also.”

“This is ridiculous. I’m going to call Adam. He’s the only one of us you listen to. Perhaps he can talk some sense into you.” (Adam’s my grandson.)

“He’ll be on my side.”

“I don’t think so.”

“Adam understands that I’m still capable of being a fully functioning person.”

“For how long, Daddy?”

“For however long I’ve got.”

“What happens if, God forbid, you become really ill?”

“I’ll worry about that if and when I must.”

“No, Daddy. You’ll be too sick. I’ll end up with it. I’ll have to bring you back here. Put you on waiting lists. Keep you…”

I cut her off. “Ruth, I’ll not have you spoil this.


There was a click at the other end as Ruth hung-up. I was shaking with frustration. I don’t like to argue with my daughter, but we often end up doing just that.

I should have been happy with my new condo unit, instead I was upset and worried.

I will look for a retirement community down here. I’ll check out waiting lists, sometimes you must wait years, and perhaps there will be something I can afford. But, I don’t want to give up my new place. I'm just a crazed old foil man!

Am I actually crazy as Ruth implied, Dear Journal?

You may send E-mail comments to
ZacSfuts@Comcast.net
, or post them below.

2 Comments:

Blogger Malcolm said...

I wouldn't go as far as to say crazy. In 1976 I ran/enticed away to Florida for a year, Lakeworth, Jan.77 I was there for the first reported snowfall in south Florida.
So, I'd recommend it, I hope your daughter catches up to you, but, don't stop to wait for her.
Malcolm

1:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your not crazy. enjoy what time you have left. it's your adventure not anyone elses.

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home