October 30, 2004

Time to get Serious


Just in case any Republicans cruising through cyberspace happen across my almost diurnal liberal (dirty word!) diatribes - and you’re able to get past the first sentence - you might think about the following before voting for President Bush on Tuesday.

A survey designed and conducted by Johns Hopkins, Columbia University, and Al Mustansinya University in Baghdad found that almost 100,000 Iraqis have been killed since the preemptive American invasion of Iraq on March 19, 2004. Many of these were women and children. The sample size of those questioned was relatively small, a few thousand, but the type of study is one that scientists usually consider to be quite accurate. *

I find the focus on missing explosives instead of the loss of life and human suffering to be “bloody awful,” pun intended. It is extremely offensive at the least, and I can’t help but wonder about our so called “family” and “Christian Values.”

At the same time, Vice President Cheney stated yesterday, right here in Pennsylvania, my friends - Yes, right here in good old Pennsylvania he said - the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq will go down in history as “brilliant.” *2

*3

The man is a Fascist.

I’m sorry.

No, I’m not!

The Vice President is a Fascist.



Dear Journal,


When I was writing to you on Thursday, I forgot to mention the best news about my catheterization. My family physician said that I could have my hernia repaired, and the sooner the better, since my heart is in such good health. He was subconsciously shoveling out a subtext that read, “and you’re so old we don’t know how long that ticker is going to stay healthy.” Ruth called yesterday and I told her about it and she went apoplectic on me.

“You can’t be seriously thinking about having surgery at your age, Dad.”

“The catheterization was surgery,” I said.

“They put you to sleep for hernia surgery, Dad. It’s much more risky than the catheterization was.”

Ruth always knows everything. Once again, she thinks she has my best interests at heart. However, I am the person having a great deal of discomfort, and, besides, the hernia seems to get bigger every day. Also, I certainly don’t want to have a strangulated hernia the day after my heart decides not to be healthy any longer, because, in addition to being incredibly painful a strangulated hernia demands emergency surgery, or I’m a dead man. Wow, what a terrible sentence!

I answered Ruth by saying, “I certainly don’t want to wait until I’m any older to have surgery!” Of course, this means I’ll have to put off my trip to Florida one more time. I hope to be able to go by February 2005.



* “Study puts Iraqi toll at 100,000,” CNN.com, http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/mcast/10/29/irazdeaths/index.html, Friday, October 29, 2004, posted: 1:10 Am EDT

*2 for the Associated Press article about Cheney’s speech, go to AOL News

*3 Corky Trinidad, “Cheney’s going to be on the ticket” posted February 29, 2004, Barefoot and Naked, a blog by Bob Harry, “http://www.retrograde.net:” Saturday, October 30, 2004, 10:12 A.M. EDT.


E-mail me at ZacSfuts@aol.com

Visit my homepage at AOL Hometown

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home