May 16, 2004

Bush’s Armada


*1Normally I’m not a pessimist, and I promised myself that I wouldn’t dwell on thoughts about Mr. Bush so much. However, I read an article that will be in tomorrow's issue of theNew Yorker that implicates Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld as involved at the primary level of enabling the abu Ghraib prison abuse scandal, and I have to write the following.*2

Last year in March when we invaded Iraq, I made a mental comparison between King Philip the Second’s attempt to invade England in 1588, and President Bush the Second’s invasion of Iraq in 2003. A storm defeated Philip and the British gained control over the worlds oceans for 300 years. I’m not a prognosticator, so I don’t know what the actual results of George’s invasion will be, other than, I’m afraid, defeat, pure and simple. To expect that an Arab nation will accept domination by a Western nation was and is foolish. To me this misbegotten adventure felt like a crusade, and perhaps should be called The Eighth Major Crusade. Of course it was not inspired by a pope as Pope Urban II inspired the first crusade. However, it was inspired by fundamentalist religious zeal at a time when all the religions and nations of this earth are experiencing a fundamentalist revival of the faithful.

Mr. Bush through his administration’s planner and advisor, Karl Rove has made it clear that they do not respect intellectual enterprise and intellectuals, that they are instead men of action.

As people do better, they start voting like Republicans -- unless they have too much education and vote Democratic, which proves there can be too much of a good thing.” Karl Rove


I do not have an extremely powerful intellect. However, I am able to recognize arrogance at the expense of rational thought when I see it.

Unfortunately it has taken the Abu Ghraib fiasco and the beheading of Nick Berg to bring a small majority of Americans to the realization that this Eighth Crusade was and is a mistake. We are spending money and our national resources including our youngest and strongest men and women (our own children) to maintain this miscalculated adventure of the Oil Oligarchy. At what point do we regroup, admit our error, and focus our attention on the actual problem at hand - which I might add has been increased ten fold by our misadventure in Iraq - TERRORISM?

*1 Open Source Politics: WorldView, http://ospolitics.org/worldview/ (viewed May 15, 2004, 10:38 A.M. EDT)

*2 Seymour M. Hersh, "The Gray Zone," The New Yorker(May 24, 2004), posted May 15, 2004 (viewed May 16, 2004, 10:42 EDT)


E-mail me! My e-mail address is ZacSfuts@aol.com.

Visit my homepage
AOL Hometown

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home