December 23, 2004


Orlan: Part II


*

So, there is this fabulous lady from France whose values are not faith based, but make American values as demonstrated in “reality TV” look like the devil’s own. I can’t help but ask myself if most Americans take the time to look in the mirror, and if they do, what do they see in the reflection? I know that Orlan sees an image that is reflective of her inner thoughts, that portrays the real Orlan. I know that when I look in the mirror, I see the foil man I’ve played for decades, a creature that is just as reflective as the mirror. He does not exist, but at the same time, he reflects the values of the culture in which we live; shiny glitz, and all surface. So, in a way I am the opposite of Orlan, a Lacanian vacuum, demonstrating the emptiness of the culture in which I live. And, that emptiness includes the false morality of the evangelical Christians, for theirs is all surface too, a tricky Rube Goldberg contraption made up of shiny mirrors reflecting their own fears, hate, and prejudice. It says nothing about the life of Christ, and his deep-seated hope that we should all learn to love one another.

But, more of mirrors, faith, fear, and hate another day.

I’ve decided to head south for Christmas.


*
I’m calling Ruth today to tell her I won’t be coming to dinner on Christmas Day. She will throw a fit. Too bad!

My hernia is healing well. I am completely ambulatory, and I want to be some place warm for Christmas. I’m leaving tomorrow morning, dear Journal, so I won’t be writing until I get back. However, I am going to try to get to one of those computer cafe’s so I can get at least one entry up while I’m away.

Wish me luck! Merry Christmas! Reminds me - have you listened to all this hogwash about how Democrats and Republicans wish one another a “Merry Christmas” or “Happy Holiday.” Damn! I hope all these pundits and idiots can get over it soon.

If you are Christian, you wish one another “Merry Christmas” I don’t care if you are Republican, Democrat, Catholic, evangelical, or liberal Christian. If you are talking to a person of another faith, you wish them a “Happy Holiday.” It’s a matter of etiquette, not politics.

Fools!

Any way, have a Merry One, everybody!

* “www.stanford.edu/class/history204i/Orlan/Orlan2.html,” Stanford University Web Site, “Object not Found, Sat Dec 18 07:59:46 2004
Apache. From Jeremy Drummond, http://www.digibodies.org/online/orlan.htm, Saturday, December 18, 2004, 11:04 AM EST.

* Animation Factory, royalty free graphics to members, http://www.animationfactory.com/brain/search.cgi?n=new&area=animations, Thursday, December 23, 2004, 6:12 AM EST


E-mail me at ZacSfuts@aol.com

Visit my homepage at AOL Hometown.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home