March 12, 2004

Pennsylvania Dutch Gothic



In the spring of 1954 I began to make a series of photographs of myself dressed in silver foil. The first time we shot the photographs at Orchard Hill Farm it was a glorious spring day. The intense sunshine, new red and acid-green foliage on the maple trees, and the deep purple iris opening in the garden contributed to an atmosphere of gaiety as we created the family portraits. We walked from the old front porch with its two front doors to the herb garden, the barn and other out buildings, and finally to the pasture, creating tableaus as we went. I, however, performing in foil, felt like a baked potato, roasting in the hot sun. Everyone joked about the aroma the costume and I were generating as we posed for several variations of Pennsylvania Dutch Gothic, my aberrant version of Grant Wood’s famous painting.

When I began creating the “Foil Man Performances” in 1954 they were like a nervous habit and I didn’t know what I was doing or why. I just felt the need and fortunately my family went along with me. However, looking back on the performances today I know that they have many levels of meaning; psychological, sexual, and cultural.

I will write more about the performances in the future, dear journal.

E-mail me! My e-mail address is ZacSfuts@aol.com.

Visit my homepage

AOL Hometown


Take a look at:

Betty Bower’s Miracle Cards for wonderful political commentary you can send to your friends. She plays the part to the fullest!=

Holty’s blog for great political comentary and much more from an Australian point of view.

Mark Harden’s Artchive. If you’re not familiar with it, it’s the best place to find excellent images of artist’s works on the WWW.

Gay Artist’s Galleries

Oku’s Surotic Gallery, an erotic art site.

Arts and Letters Daily, ideas, criticism, and debate, a service of the Chronicle of Higher Education.

ArtsJournal.com, the Daily Digest of Arts, Culture, & Ideas.

the Advocate, the GLTB news magazine.