November 07, 2004

Study Makes Me Want to Spit Nails!


*

I read this article, “The Election’s Over, Are You Still Losing It?” this morning in disbelief. The author, Damien Cave suggests that we losers, that is “democrats” should make nice, crawl back into the woodwork, and go away. Mr. Damien and the psychologists he consorts with believe that we run the risk of having heart attacks should we stay angry. One of his suggestions, do something constructive, like “write your congressman or senator.” Well, my senator is Rick Santorum. When has he ever considered an opinion 1 millimeter to the left of Fascist as anything less than dirt? Consider the following Santorum statement.

It all comes from, I would argue, this right to privacy that doesn't exist in my opinion in the United States Constitution, this right that was created, it was created in Griswold -- Griswold was the contraceptive case -- and abortion. And now we're just extending it out. And the further you extend it out, the more you -- this freedom actually intervenes and affects the family.
*

Is that not frightening? How is it possible that this man who would destroy basic freedoms for every member of our society because of his ideological evangelical definition of “family” was elected to public office? I am horrified that anyone, including an evangelical would allow his or her faith to interrupt basic “Bill of Rights” human freedoms. I am worried. No, I am filled with fear that our nation is on the road to becoming a Christian Fascist state.

So, I have news for Damien. Sorry Bud, but I for one don’t plan on shelving my anger, and I will not do what I did after the shameful non-election of 2000, that is crawl back into the woodwork. This president and these 52 million American voters frighten me. I am a gay Christian senior man in danger of becoming a second-class citizen because Mr. Bush stated the day after the election that he will make a move once again to initiate the process that will make the antigay marriage amendment law. For his second try Mr. Bush has more Republican congressmen and senators to work with. In short, the government is now a conservative, evangelical juggernaut, and I will fight tooth and nail to keep the evangelicals and this president from making our country the land of the not-so-free unless you believe like me. If we have to return to the tactics of the 1960’s with street demonstrations and riots, so be it!

There, how’s that for constructive anger channeling?

*Rebecca Wells, “Smilies,” Gumbo Ya-Ya, http://www.ya-ya.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=faq, © 2004, Sunday, November 7, 2004, 10:41 AM EST.

*Cave, Damien, “The Election’s Over, Are You Still Losing It?” New York Times in AOL News, http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/elections/article.adp?id=20041107062909990002&cid=842, updated November 7, 2004, 9:38 AM EST. Sunday, November 7, 2004, 10:04 AM EST.

* AP Breaking news, “Senator Rick Santorum’s comments on homosexuality in the AP interview,” in SFGate.com, “http://www.sfgate.com/,” Tuesday, April 22, 2003, Sunday, November 7, 2003, 11:07 AM EST.


E-mail me at ZacSfuts@aol.com

Visit my homepage at AOL Hometown

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home